Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Book Burner Inspires Young Librarian

Yesterday’s piece on the wiseacre book-burning used bookstore owner from Missouri prompted one young reader to take action.

Nathan Kim, a grade 11 student from Indiana wrote to ask if we knew how to contact Tom Wayne, the Kansas City book burner. “I am in the process of creating a school library,” Kim said. “We are starting to grow, but we always need books. Seeing as there is no need for his books, I thought that he would not object to donating/supplying our school with these books that he has gathered.”

Kim pointed out that sooner would be better than later, if for no other reason than to save the threatened books. “I think that the school would prefer actual books rather than burnt ones.”

I replied to Kim, asking his permission to reprint his comments. And he agreed. I figure that, by their very nature, book lovers tend to be a generous lot. If you want to get in touch with Kim to help get his fledgling library started, e-mail me and I’ll see he gets your note.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

.