Monday, August 22, 2011

Ray Bradbury Applauds Upcoming Film Version of Dandelion Wine

Iconic science fiction author and elastic thinker Ray Douglas Bradbury was born in Waukegan, Illinois, on this day in 1920.

In some ways, Ray Bradbury is best known for his very earliest published work: the collection of stories published together at The Martian Chronicles in 1950 and the dystopian 1953 novel, Fahrenheit 451, but there have been many, many works since that time, significantly The Illustrated Man (1951), Something Wicked This Way Comes (1962), I Sing The Body Electric (1969) and really, it’s only when you try to start listing them that you realize there are too many to list! The most complete bibliography we’ve seen is here.

Meanwhile, it’s been announced that Bradbury’s 1957 novel, Dandelion Wine, is currently being adapted for the screen by Mike Medavoy, Doug McKay, with Rodion Nahapetov of RGI Productions and Natasha Shliapnikoff are producing and Nahapetov doing the writing. From Variety:
“This is the best birthday gift I could ask for,” Bradbury said. “Today, I have been reborn! ‘Dandelion Wine’ is my most deeply personal work and brings back memories of sheer joy as well as terror. This is the story of me as a young boy and the magic of an unforgettable summer which still holds a mystical power over me.”

Story, published in 1957, takes place in the 1928 summer in Green Town, Ill. -- which closely resembles Bradbury's home of Waukegan, Ill. The protagonist is 12-year-old Douglas Spaulding, whose short stories are tinged with fantasy.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still my personal favorite among the many Bradbury books that have passed my eyes. I could have sworn he was writing about my childhood and growing up around Black Creek in the deepest, and sometimes darkest, heart of North York, Ont.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 at 10:32:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home

.