Tuesday, July 03, 2012

You’ll Remember Ellin

My first experience with the work of American novelist Stanley Ellin came a few years back, when I penned a “forgotten books” piece for The Rap Sheet about his outstanding 1958 private-eye novel, The Eighth Circle. I’ve since collected and enjoyed more of Ellin’s fiction, both short stories and books, some of his tales perhaps best categorized as crime fiction, others as macabre suspense.

But after reading blogger Sergio Angelini’s fine recent backgrounder on Ellin’s authorial career, posted in Tipping My Fedora, I realize I still have a long way to go before I can claim a thorough understanding of Ellin’s work. “Ellin died on 31 July 1986,” Angelini recalls, “leaving a legacy of some fifteen novels and three-dozen short stories.”

Fortunately, Angelini promises to “post reviews of many of his books over the next few months.” If the blogger sticks to his previous pattern, he will likely provide links to those from this intro piece, so check back there periodically.

In the meantime, keep your eyes out for Ellin’s books. And if you find any, snap them up immediately. I guarantee, you won’t be disappointed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

.